Wednesday, August 31, 2005

i have angry bones too!!!!

Okay. So I'm laid back. im in karate to get stonger and to learn.
I have to go through the ghetto everyday. its a good thing to know i think.
My problem is by the time I get there, I have been awake and moving for at least 15 hours already. 15 hours! ugh.

So we start our class. It's good, I keep getting better, and soon I'll no longer be the lowly white belt with stripes, but a big bad orange belt. I have a driving force, because in my line of work its important, especially for a girl like me to know a thing or two about defense.

Everyone knows I am the newbie. That sucks. Because I am always trying to catch up to everyone else, and alot of the time I look "special" because I do things wrong. my instructors are always nice, and they tell me that I am "showing great promise" and that I am "clearly smart because I learn so quickly" I say "thank you sir" when really I want to say... "slow I am master yoda. wax on wax off work not well." (Right, so I am a nerd) But honestly I hate being bad at things.

I like learning new things, but I don't like the process of not being perfect at what I do. I understand that I can't be perfect at everything, but damn it, I'm gonna get as close as humanly possible.

In class yesterday, I was going over one steps, and aiming for accuracy over strength when my female instructor stops me and asks if I have any mean bones in my body. I say, "you haven't seen me in traffic on 395. I'm just storing up all my anger for the real showdown on the highway." She laughs, then says that "perfection of technique is important, but if you ever want to put this to use, you need to put force behind it, not just motion."

Point well taken ma'am. she is like 5 ft tall and could lay me out with one shot. It's admirable. Actually, her whole family could do the same. Don't mess with that family.

Note to self: work on angry explosive hits, not just perfection. Perfection gets you belts, but explosivity gets the other guy knocked out.

No comments: