Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Update, rant, and future

First, I've lost 25lbs. Way to go me. Brez has lost more, and looks fantastic. Actually both of us look pretty damn good. Yea for that.

I went to Virgin Fest, it was fan-f-ing-tastic. Even in the sweltering heat and the continuous downpour, I had a blast. It did however serve as a tool of confirmation of my aged status. I am a 40yr old. I happily sat on a blanket in the back and grooved, then for a few of the more benign shows I migrated to the front and half-danced.

Funnily enough I still enjoyed myself, regardless of the fact that in the past I would have been moshing with the best of them. Now, I can't afford to get hurt, don't want to deal with illegal substances floating about if I can avoid them, and just generally am there for the music and nothing else. Sad, but true. The asian doesn't feel old, she maintains that I had to make a drastic leap from punky-college kid to responsible suit-wearing-serious-job worker, thus causing me to mourn the demise of lost punk. She is totally right. I wish I could go back to responsibility free living, I had no idea what awesome opportunity to screw up I was presented with! Damn. Damn. Damn.

Damn that lost opportunity to be a crack-head. Damn the possibility to be a pro-athlete, a cop, a pilot, or even a weather girl. Shot. All those childish hopes and dreams that one day I could grow up to be so many things. I think in the end I knew I would turn out like this, mourning my former-self and reveling in the crazy/cool things I did actually do. Mistakes were common, and people were fleeting. It happens. I suppose I'll move on, and try to be the most successful adult I can be.

I'm still in negotiations with my future employer, they are bitches, and I'm contemplating walking from the offer. I have waited this long for something mildly workable, and now I'm just nearing fury and resentment at the BS that has been this process. I wonder now, if I can commit to years of employment with people that are possibly retarded, and at least severely lacking in foresight. Then upon continued reflection, I remember that:
"Those who are going to be in business tomorrow are those who understand that the future, as always, belongs to the brave."
William Bernbach

In theory, if I am brave enough to deal with the excessive amounts of crap now... I'll win out in the future. That's the theory anyway.

No comments: